If you know me personally then you know I hardly have my phone on-hand, I only have it make noise for phone calls so I can hear it from a distance. So below I'll list ways you can contact me if you want to let me know something or want to talk to me.
A simple email is the easiest way to get my attention. I have my personal email on all my computers so I can respond fairly quick.
The following will help you know if I'll respond to your email. As anyone with an email knows, spam and scams are quite common, so I choose to be selective in whom I respond to.
- Please start by downloading my PGP key so you can recieve messages from me.
- Please include a PGP/GPG signature or key somewhere in your email so I can verify who you are, I will delete emails typically if I cannot verify who you are.
- If you use Thunderbird or other email software, please use Enigmail to encrypt your emails after you've sent me your PGP keys. This is the best way I can verify that you are you and that our conversations are secure.
- If you think I do happen to know you, please say where I may know you from, list usernames, chatrooms, etc and still include PGP/GPG key.
- If you want to be a pen pal please make sure again to follow the above and include PGP/GPG and relevant links.
- If you're wanting to have a long email conversation, please just link me your Matrix/Riot.im info or your IRC info and we can chat that way, it's easier for everyone that way, plus I can get a.
- If you have questions regarding software I've released or am working on and want to collaborate, then please go ahead just please follow the above.
- If you're trying to sell me a product, don't, I will block you. I already don't shop online that often (maybe once or twice a year), so me buying your product most likely will not happen.
- If you're a recruiter, do not contact me at this email, you'll get blocked. I have an email for job related thing which can be found on the resume most likely sent to you.
- If your email is hard to read, contains pictures, etc, I will most likely not respond. If English is your second language then I understand, but if you just plain don't know how to spell or don't want to put at least some effort into your spelling then I'll put the same amount of effort into my reading (zero to minimal effort).
If you think you've read the above then feel free to email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
All that being said, I'd love to talk to anyone interested so don't feed discouraged by the long list above, it's because I recieve a lot of spam as also stated above.
My emails may be marked as spam because I'm not using a googlel or MailChimp domain, so please make sure to check your spam inbox the first time I email you back.
First, I don't really have my phone on me that often, it's usualy on DND unless I have a meeting. Second, I get too many spam calls as it is due to my business, so I don't need more calls, please reach out to me through other means. I also sometimes will swap phones to use based on what I'm doing so there's a small chance I may miss you're call anyways.
If I don't know you, I won't answer your texts, plain and simple. I already don't have text notifications on, so this is probably the worst way of contacting me.
If you call me and I don't recognize the number I most likely won't answer. Leave a voicemail if I don't pickup, if I recognize you then I'll return the call.
I'm usually on IRC as @materialfuture. If you know me from IRC then you already know the server and my nick on there and can message me.
Feel free to email me about any interesting IRC servers.
If you really want to chat with me I'd prefer not to do so over email, as I check that periodically and not very consistently. If I already know you then just email me your Matrix info and I'll add you, if I don't know you then please just send me an email.
On my Element account I have some Freenode added servers as well to check if I don't have a computer nearby, so you can also reach me that way via matrix.
I'm willing to setup bridges to other services (irc, Discord, Slack, etc) if there's absolutely no way to convince you to use the matrix protocol or IRC, but I gotta really like you for me to do that.
You can DM me on Mastodon, the link is in the footer. I'm not always on mastodon, so this will probably be about as effective as email. Similar rules apply to if you're going to DM on mastodon as if you were to email me so please read those rules first.
If you're sending me a meme then I guess it's fine, I'll let it slide if it's actually funny.
Sure. I'm occasionally on Mumble. Email or message me the server info and I'll join to talk, if I like/know you that is.
If you contact me telling me to use some (probably proprietary) platform to contact you other than the ones listed above then I won't contact you. I list the above because they are freedom respecting platforms that I use to contact people. I provide so many ways for people to contact me, so be realistic when thinking about asking me.
I don't use Discord, Zoom, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp, Line, Slack, Snapchat, Insta, or whatever trendy thing you're going to ask me to join. The only times I use these are if work makes me use them, or if I'm setting up a bridge to Matrix so I don't have to log into those services directly.